Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Rome, Incredible Rome





Hello to all,

I'm reflecting back on our trip to Italy today, thinking about how to describe part three, the city of Rome. Unforgettable, is all I can say. Many here in Libya have been to Rome, and all have liked it. I guess one of the most amazing things to me was seeing ancient sights like the Coliseum right in the middle of a neighborhood. Vatican City had cute little restaurants and shopping all around it, as well as the busy city bustling all around in every direction, buses, taxis, lots of traffic and the pedestrians. Somehow I expected that these famous sights would be set apart somewhere, but not at all. They are only a part of the huge city. Well, the pedestrians rule the roost in Rome, no cars can compare with the crowds crossing the streets. Huge crowds, all going somewhere important. Kind of scary watching people head out in front of the cars, we did it too, you have to be bold and decisive. Anyway, so many impressions of the city, history, excitement, graffiti everywhere, on so many places you wouldn't expect to see it, restaurants, stylish people, and the shopping, and crowds. We were in crowds on the streets, in the piazzas, on the metro, in buses, you get the picture. Crowded !!

Anyway, I'm glad we went to Rome. My favorite part,besides sharing it with Anne and Ryan, the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, stunningly beautiful. Now, I know what art really is, a gift from God. Pictures don't do it justice, love to all, Lynn

1 comment:

Judi said...

It is an amazing city isn't it!