Saturday, June 27, 2009

Leptis Magna

Hi to all,

Rick goes back to work tomorrow, on Sunday. Weird, huh? We went to an amazing place called Leptis Magna today, 2-3,000 year old Roman ruins, two hours east of Tripoli. I was expecting a column or so, but this is the real deal, a city inhabited by 80,000 people, a long long time ago. The city stretched over a very large area, and was filled with beautiful carving, columns of every size and shape, and a colliseum where the gladiators used to fight. Breathtaking !! And all the while the Mediterranean Sea in the background. Anyway, we saw two trucks carrying camels, one had three in it, the other had twelve, all smashed together in the back of a very small truck. I've always wanted to see a camel. Maybe they have a camel rescue organization, and I'll adopt one.

OK, I need prayers from all of you for my livelihood while I'm in Tripoli. Some possibilities are, tutor, nursery teacher, or both. Anyway, I really want to be available to do whatever I can to make a contribution while I am here. So, I'll keep you posted. This is a true stretch for me, I'll never be tempted to take for granted the ease by which I've always been able to contact those I love. Ever thought about how incredible it is to just pick up a phone at any time and call a family member or a friend. Well, I'm thinking about that privilege a lot these days and how much I miss it !!

An odd moment today occurred on our trip to Leptis, hundreds, maybe even thousands of blue, red, and green striped plastic bags lined the street we were driving on. We asked our driver, Ramsey, what the deal was, and he said hundreds of Egyptian workers have come to Libya to help with the litter problem. Everything looked much cleaner, except for the bags!! Maybe someone ought to come by and pick them up !! I am a litter freak so maybe just maybe that could be why I'm here? I can definitely do my part.

More soon, and pictures of our trip today. Love you all so much, Lynn

1 comment:

debbie dunphy said...

WOW! I have always wanted to see that sort of thing...talk about history high! Enjoy the adventure,CamelGirl!!! love you, Debbie