Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday(I mean Sunday) in Tripoli

Great church service today, our Canadian pastor was back from his two month leave!! Even though the Egyptian associate pastor is very nice, it is so hard to understand him with his thick accent. But today, we heard every word of the sermon from James about trials. Probably a great sermon to preach to a group of people living in Tripoli, Africa! My favorite moment was when a tiny, little boy from Nigeria walked up during the service and reached out for my hand. He unashamedly stood very close to me, and I patted his soft hair while he ate his cookie. I'm not sure where his mother was, but he was in the care of another lady who had a tiny baby also. Anyway, I thought to myself, how sweet, and this is how we should all greet each other at church, with love and acceptance. What a beautiful picture of the love Jesus has for each of us !

While I am writing, the call to prayer is sounding. Ramadan is well underway now, the Muslim people have been fasting and praying from sunup to sundown every day for a whole week. You can almost hear the sigh of relief when the sun goes down and they can "break fast". The city is very decorated right now also, in anticipation of the September 1 celebration. Flags all over the building, banners everywhere, and decorations which will be lit on most lamp posts downtown. It is really going to be quite a day, the 4oth year celebration of their independence, and 10th year of their being a part of the African Union. Many dignitaries will speak, and millions will be in the city for parades and fireworks. Rick's company doesn't encourage us to attend, just because of the masses of people who will be there, so we plan to set up on one of the roofs to see the fireworks that night. It will be a holiday for Rick, so that part is to be celebrated for sure.

Hope each of you is well, and that God is giving you His peace. Please let me know how I may pray for you while I am here, love to all, Lynn

1 comment:

anne booth said...

miss you, but love reading the blog. It makes me feel closer to you guys by knowing what is going on in tripoli! I hope you have a great Saturday together tomorrow!