Monday, September 28, 2009

Canasta Anyone?

Hello All,

I admit to being a little "down" this week, after returning to the desert from the lovely city of Paris. So, the therapy is always to count my blessings, and remember that there are many wonderful people in my life, and much to look forward to . Rick is doing so very well here, and I am very thankful for his job, and the fact that he likes the challenges that are before him each day. After the former busyness of my life as a teacher, this slow pace is hard, and I struggle with the quiet of some days here. So, each opportunity to get out, and meet new ladies is wonderful.

I have learned to play the "real" game of Canasta, and the group of women I play cards with is very multicultural. Some have experienced many overseas assignments, and they say Libya is the hardest of all. I believe the restrictions placed on us as women here contribute to this perception, the challenging language barrier, the lack of freedom to drive, or get out on our own, and the tremendous cultural differences, all play a part in the opinion that this is indeed a tough assignment. It helps to share with each other, to listen and laugh together. Every one is trying to make the best of things here, and reach out. This becomes essential if you live overseas, you no longer have the luxury of staying to yourself, the need for community is too overwhelming and important. Canasta is only our "excuse" to get together once a week, a lifeline. And, I am so thankful for it !! Sending love to one and all, Lynn

PS More Paris Albums later, promise !

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Judi said...

Glad you have a circle of friends to spend the days with...the group seems to be growing and it's neat that you are meeting women whose husbands work for other companies besides AECOM. I know you are excited about Italy, and I am excited for you! Love you, j

Unknown said...

I am an American Libyan who own a well known language center in Tripoli. I would be so happy if you visit and work with us even on part time basis.

Have a good day
aletclibya@yahoo.com