Sunday, July 12, 2009

Come Visit Malta with me!!

Hello to All,

I'm sorry to have missed my blogging for a couple of days, but I do hope that the next few days of Malta pictures will make up for it. Wow, what a beautiful island we found only a short 45 minute flight away, gorgeous coastline, flowers everywhere, colorful boats, fabulous restaurants, and sun !! What could be better than that? Maltese people speak their own language, a combination of Italian, French, English, Arabic, and "a little of everything else", our taxi driver said. The influence of many different countries is found on this tiny island, once controlled by each long ago. Now, Malta is its own country.

Rick and I loved seeing Valletta, the older part of the island, with its forts and cathedrals, apparently the churches all have festivals honoring their particular saint, and fireworks go off, and streets are decorated to the hilt. Even the little churches are covered with lights. We walked all over this part of the island, up and down narrow streets with painted wooden balconies, window boxes filled with flowers. I will post pictures Rick and I took of Baarracca Gardens, where there is a magnificent view across the harbor. Huge cruise ships were docking there. Republic Street is very long and very wide, filled with tourists, who are all shopping at the many, many shops there. It was impossible to do this part of the island justice in just a few hours. We were with two men who work with Rick, and they took some beautiful pictures of all the painted doors, all different and unusual. We'll post some of these pictures too.

Just a little known fact about Malta, at least little known to me, Paul of Tarsus, supposedly was marooned on the island, when he was shipwrecked on his way to Rome. Very interesting, huh? For more info, check out Acts 28:1-10.

Rick and I stayed in the Hotel Juliani, in St. Julian's, which overlooks a bay. This is a quaint little fishing village and you will see the colorful boats docked all over the bay. There is a beautiful walk along the water, which is very busy and crowded at night.

Well, I could go on and on, but let me conclude by saying, it was a perfect getaway, we were celebrating Rick's first pay check in about 16 months, so we felt very blessed to be in such a stunning place filled with happy people who were enjoying themselves. Of course, we wished for each of you, that we could somehow, bring all of you that we love so very much together and enjoy being there with you. Love for now, my sweet friends and family, Lynn

2 comments:

anne booth said...

Sounds like an amazing trip! Can't wait to hear all about it! Sorry I missed you guys earlier, I have been at my pool course ALL weekend... I'm VERY water logged. Love you and can't wait to talk this week. AB

Randy and Diana said...

Sounds like a great way to celebrate the first "PAYDAY" I know it was good to get away and have some time just relaxing.

We had Steve and Cristi for the weekend and the girls went to San Antonio to hear Joyce Meyer and Steve and I did our guy thing eating with other guys and watching sports as the temp is still over 100 every day.

Dad was excited about your going to Malta and is looking forward to hearing about your weekend. We will talk to you later. Have a great week.