Thursday, July 23, 2009

God is in Control by Charles Stanley

This week has been about alone time for me, lots of reading and writing. My new friend, Ellen, returned to the states, and left me here to reflect on this past month. Now, with my return back to Texas only a few days away, I found a small book that I bought right before our departure to Libya back in June. It is called God is in Control by Charles Stanley. The subtitle reads this way, "An Unshakeable Peace in the Midst of Life's Storms." I wanted to share this book with you today, since it has brought me an amazing sense of peace. God really is in control, and He wants us to know this simple truth, not just know it, but let it sink deep into our souls, so that it comforts us, and gives us strength and peace when we need it. Then, He wants us to pass that gift of peace on to others who need it too.

While I was reading today, a knock came at my door. Keep in mind, this apartment is about 550 square feet, so I hear pretty much everything that goes on during the day. Usually the knock is my cleaning lady, Samira, a very sweet and shy young woman who brightens my days with her smile, and greetings in Arabic,"Assalaam alay-kum" which translates, "Peace be upon you." But today the knock was Alice, who came unexpectedly on an errand for her husband, Mac, who works with Rick. Alice and I have been together only twice, but today she arrived at the perfect time, to pray with me for Kay,our cousin, and for Lee, my sister, both battling cancer. She prayed that God would heal both of them, and it was wonderful for me to have her here with me. So, I know that God is truly in control, that He cares very much about us,and about each of you, my dearly loved family and friends. Today, I hope you think of that as you go about your day, whatever may come, and know also that I love each of you, and look so forward to seeing you soon, Lynn

2 comments:

Randy and Diana said...

Lynn:

Thanks for sharing with all of us. Our Men's Bible Study Group is reading Developing a Servant's Heart also by Charles Stanley. It is good too.

We got to practice it Tuesday night when the youngest member of our group was fooling around waiting for everyone to get here for the study and fell off his bike in the water retention ditch across the street and suffered a mild concussion and broken collarbone. We all took him to the hospital and took turns staying with him until he could be released. One of the guys took him home and we are trying to look after him until he gets back on his feet.

We are praying you have a safe trip back to Texas.

Randy and Diana said...

Lynn:

Thanks for sharing with all of us. Our Men's Bible Study Group is reading Developing a Servant's Heart also by Charles Stanley. It is good too.

We got to practice it Tuesday night when the youngest member of our group was fooling around waiting for everyone to get here for the study and fell off his bike in the water retention ditch across the street and suffered a mild concussion and broken collarbone. We all took him to the hospital and took turns staying with him until he could be released. One of the guys took him home and we are trying to look after him until he gets back on his feet.

We are praying you have a safe trip back to Texas.